Friday, February 20, 2009

A Thought

I was at a church meeting last night, and one of the people on our committee gave a beautiful thought that I felt worth repeating.

He talked about Christ and how in the Bible the Lord said, "My peace I give unto you...therefore, neither let your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." The speaker talked about how that was a commandment- to let our hearts not be troubled- a commandment that is almost universally disobeyed. In this horribly difficult time, where I want to cry every time I turn the news on because so many people are suffering, the Lord tells us, "come unto me- trust in me and everything will be alright." (I am paraphrasing here).

I don't think this means that we ignore the calamities surrounding us. On the contrary, we should be mourning with those that mourn, helping the afflicted, and praying for those in need. I think these commandments go hand in hand- we turn to the Lord for His peace, and then get to work to help those around us.

I really just loved this thought and wanted to share. I know it was something I needed to hear. If we choose to turn to the Lord in our times of need, He is bound by His own laws to comfort, heal, and help us. I'm going to make an effort to remember this commandment rather then feeling so distraught about all that is happening in the world right now- while still trying to do my best to help those that stand in need of help!

No comments:

Post a Comment