Sunday, July 12, 2009

What REALLY Happened

Here is the story of how we got our little Claire.

We knew going to bed Wednesday night that Thursday would bring us another little girl- we just didn't realize it was going to be so dramatic! Everything was, after all planned and accounted for- everything except Claire.

Before we went to bed, I felt a little more mucusy then normal, and I even contemplated calling my friend Kristin who had just had a baby to see what it felt like to have your water break. But, it didn't seem that bad so I didn't make the call and we went to bed as planned.

At 2 AM I woke up and said, "THAT'S what it feels like to have your water break!" (which, by the way, is gross). I calmly said, "Ben, time to get up- we need to go to the hospital," to which he responded, "can't we just wait until morning?"

In his defense, he wasn't just trying to get a little more sleep- though that was part of it. We were going to be leaving in just a few short hours anyway, and we would have to wake Audra up, wake Ben's parents up- it was going to be very annoying. If we could just wait....I decided to call the doctor- knowing beforehand what they would say. Because the baby was breach, if I went into full labor on the side of the street and had to deliver on the side of the road, well- that wouldn't be good for me or the baby. The hospital said to come in immediately and if I felt pressure like the baby was coming to call 911 immediately. So, Ben got Audra (who thought it was great to be woken up in the middle of the night to go see Grandma and Grandpa) and off we went.
As soon as we were in the car, I started having contractions- and they started at 5 minutes apart. It's a 40 minute drive to the hospital, so I prayed that we would make it!

By the time we got to the hospital, my contractions were every 3-5 minutes. They checked me in and I was already dialated to a 5, with the baby wanting to come out and come out NOW! Thank goodness we didn't wait to go in! They wouldn't give me any pain meds for the contractions which HURT (I kept asking myself why we women go through this again and again). Unfortunately, the doctor was already performing a c-section, and there was another women on deck waiting to have one- even at 3:30 AM. It looked like it was going to be a long night.

The doctor came in and looked at me, and decided I was going to be next. He bumped the other woman as her issues were not as pressing as mine, and soon we were being wheeled into the OR.

The surgry was not as bad as I anticipated. It helped having talked to so many of you and hearing your experiences, so I knew exactly what they were doing and what to expect. When they finally brought Claire over, it was quite literally love at first sight- we both just fell in love with her- and how can you not? She is so beautiful and precious, and we have been so blessed.

It appears that Clarie was totally fine with her Birthday being July 9th. It was the time she wasn't ok with- she wanted to be born earlier then 10:30 AM. Well, her entrance definitely made for an interesting night- and we wouldn't have had it any other way!


  1. Adorable pictures. She was just so excited to be a part of your family she couldn't wait any longer. I love it.

  2. Sounds like you got to the hospital just in time like me! Labor is definitely a painful, crazy, yet very exciting experience! Esp. the 2nd time around! ;) Claire is very cute and such a sweet name. I'm glad you are doing so well and blogging already! ;) When can I bring you dinner this week? Let me know which day works best for you! Hope your recovery is continuing to go well. Glad you are all healthy!

  3. I'm so glad everything worked out for you in the end. And yes, that feeling when your water breaks is gross. I remember it well. :)

  4. Congrats Christina, another adorable girl added to your little brood! :)