Friday, June 25, 2010

CSA

Some of you have asked about our CSA, so I thought I would put a little information about ours on here.
-
Basically, a CSA is a local farm which you invest in and reap the benefits of. Whatever is grown, you get a portion of. Everything is organic and local- thus making for healthier food and a better situation for the environment.
-
We decided to join because we wanted to support our local farms and economy, not get our produce from Mexico or Chile or somewhere else where there are no regulations in regards to pesticides, and we loved the idea of being invested in local produce. Cost-wise it is about the same as what I am currently spending- maybe 2 or 3 dollars more a week, but not much at all.
-
The food is delivered to one central neighborhood area each week. You simply go and pick up the food and enjoy the benefits of the whatever the crop has yielded!
-
It is also nice because they send out a weekly e-mail giving updates on what is happening on the farm, as well as recipes for how to use the food they gave you that week. You can go and visit the farm if you want, though it is located a couple hours away from us so we probably won't this year. It is very family friendly.
-
Here is part of an e-mail they just sent out:
-
Every member of a veggie share is equal to about HALF a pallet of veggies being taken off the road annually from being sent out of state, and instead have placed them into your homes for you, your friends and family. You have been responsible for keeping Colorado produce in Colorado. Too many Colorado farms have to look outside of their home state to find homes for their hard work, due to so much produce coming in daily from California and Mexico. The survival of all farms is to rethink our buying habits as a whole, to sever the cord to grocery stores and the consolidation it promotes and look directly to the farm and the people actually growing the food we eat.
-
Anyway, if you are interested in joining, click HERE for more information. Or, you can e-mail me:)

6 comments:

  1. Melissa and I joined one of these a few weeks ago and we are loving it. It forces us to eat healthier and try new fruits and vegetables. This week I am making a fennel salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand fennel - you can have all mine. I have found new things I have really liked through our fruit & veg box though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought I would hear mom say she was making a fennel salad:) Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think I liked fennel, but then I had it at a french restaurant and it was baked in a cream sauce with a bread crumb crust. It was AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to ask you some questions. I will call you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Call me anytime- I should be avaialbe all day today!

    ReplyDelete