Thursday, January 8, 2009

Not A Gymnast (But maybe it's her coach- me)

I signed Audra up for a tumbling class thinking it would be something really fun for she and me to do. I was right- it was very fun! We had our first class today, and Audra seemed to have a great time right up until the end. I was exhausted and sweating by the end! It is hard work being a tumbling coach (i.e., running after Audra constantly and trying to get her to do the various activities).

For some reason, I thought it would be more playing whatever they wanted- I was wrong! It was real gymnastics with balance bars and rings to hang from, and a bar where they could hang upside down. Not a gymnast myself, Audra and I struggled a little the first day (today), but we still had a great time, and hopefully Audra will warm up more to the equipment instead of just the big slide.

She loved anything having to do with climbing- and there were LOTS of things to climb (and it was nice, because there really wasn't any way for her to get hurt!)

The balance beam was the hardest part- notice how I am holding her. She would shuffle along with me mostly holding her up. But, then the instructor came over and helped her, and she did just fine! So, I guess it is just me. I am not the world's greatest gymnast coach, I guess. Oh, and we didn't even try hanging upside down from the bar!

Her friend Shanelle is also in the class- and Shanelle is the rock star in the class! She might be in the olympics someday- she just walked right across the balance beam with hardly any help. I couldn't believe it! Well, I guess Audra can't be the best at everything...

6 comments:

  1. Looks so fun! Max loved his gymnastics class before we had to quit because we're broke. Ha ha. Well, kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know they did gymnastics that young! That's fun for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like so much fun. How did you learn about that? I've been looking for something for Logan, but have no idea where to start looking. Maybe they just don't have anything up here like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have had a ball watching you two run around the gym! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our local rec centers offer classes. We are lucky to live in an area with a TON of kids, so the community does a lot of kid-firendly things (now, of course, we did have to pay for it, but it wasn't too expensive)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That class was such a blast! We can't wait until next Thursday. Your comments about Shanelle were too nice!

    ReplyDelete